Ketoprak is one of local culinary that can be easily found in Jakarta. The taste of this food is very mouthwatering. Interestingly, the so-called “Jakarta vermicelli tofu salad with peanut sauce” is also very healthy, and the price is quite affordable for all people.
Many believe that ketoprak is an authentic food from Betawi or Jakarta. It’s just that not a few also believe that ketoprak comes from Cirebon. Some people also mentioned that ketoprak came from Central Java. However, ketoprak has been claimed as a Betawi specialty food so far.
If you are dying to know to taste the unique flavors of this dish, follow our recipe, which is no less delicious than a typical ketoprak mobile vendors recipe.
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 15 minutes
- Total time: 30 minutes
- 2 ketupat (rice steamed in a rhombus-shaped packet of plaited young coconut leaves)
- 5 tofu
- 100 grams bean sprouts
- 120 grams vermicelli
- 150 grams fried peanuts
- 3 cloves garlic
- 5 cayenne peppers
- 50 grams of shredded brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon tamarind water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Fried white tofu until cooked. Remove and drain. Cut and set aside.
- Boil bean sprouts and vermicelli in boiling water. Once they are soft, drain and set aside.
- To make the sauce, grind the garlic, cayenne pepper, brown sugar and peanuts. Add tamarind water, mix until smooth. Set aside.
- Arrange ketupat, tofu, vermicelli, and bean sprouts on a plate. Pour the peanut sauce on top then add soy sauce according to taste. Sprinkle fried onions and complete with crackers and boiled eggs.
- Ketoprak is ready to serve.
You can use a food processor to make peanut sauce more easily and quickly. The blades are able to grind nuts and seeds until smooth in a flash. Thus, you can save your time and energy.