Bandung has long known as the culinary paradise in Indonesia, from which plenty of delicacies are originated. Siomay Bandung, an assorted steamed fish cakes and vegetables is among them. The star of the siomay is none other than mackerel fish cake which never fail to create such a unique taste. Served together with hard-boiled egg, steamed potato, steamed cabbage, and finally poured with thick peanut sauce. This hawkers food is scattered all around Indonesia for its authentic taste that make everyone fall in love with.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 2 hours
Servings: 6-8 servings
Base Filling (Fish Cake)
- 300 gram mackerel, fillet
- 1 egg
- 1 stalk scallion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pinch of pepper
- 50 gram tapioca powder
- 2 bitter melon, cut about 3-4 cm long and scoop out the seeds
- 1 firm tofu, cut into 4 triangles
- 4 potatoes, cut each into quarters and steamed
- 1 cabbage, take out the bone, chopped, fold, and steamed
- 6-8 hard-boiled eggs, cut each into halves (according to your preferred servings)
- 8 limes or kaffir limes
- Sweet soy sauce
- 300 gram roasted peanut
- 100 gram roasted cashew nuts (optional)
- 5 cayenne pepper (add or reduce according to preference)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- Put the mackerel fillet into a food processor until it turns into paste. Move it into a large mixing bowl then add the rest of the ingredients. Mix well and set aside.
Tip: You can make the base filling out of any ingredients you like. Be it featherback fish, chicken, or beef. But the original siomay uses mackerel.
- Take the cut tofu and scoop out each of the middle part to stuff the base filling inside. Smoothen until it returns to the original shape.
- Stuff each of the cut bitter melon with the base filling until it full.
- Steam both for about 10 minutes until perfectly cooked. Tip: To know whether it has thoroughly cooked or not, use a toothpick to test. When the toothpick comes out clean, it means the dish is cooked.
- If you have remaining base filling, shape it into smaller balls and boiled. It will float on the water when it is cooked.
- Grind the roasted peanut and cashew nut in a food processor then transfer it into a mixing bowl.
- Heat a small pan and dry fry the garlic and chilies. Grind those in a food processor as well then add it to the mixing bowl with peanut.
- Add sugar and salt, mix well until you get the preferred taste. Add a sufficient amount of water to make thick paste.
- Prepare a plate of bowl then arrange every component on it. These include bitter melon, steamed tofu, steamed potato, boiled fish cake, cabbage, and two halves of hard-boiled egg.
- Pour the peanut sauce on it until it reach sufficient amount. For finishing, drizzle the lime and soy sauce.
- Siomay Bandung requires a long cooking time and hassle preparation. It is better to make many servings in one go.
Siomay Bandung may seems complicated to cook, but given the fact of how popular the dish is all across Indonesia, there must be some good reason behind. Try to eat Siomay Bandung right from where it was born so that you what to expect.